The small town opens onto the Gulf of Mola, the widest bay of the eastern Elba coast and has a well protected port in which ferry-boats and tourist boats regularly moor.
The municipality of Porto Azzurro is in the central-eastern part of the Island of Elba. Visitors arriving in the town by sea or by land will immediately notice the massive San Giacomo Fort, built in the early 17th Century atop the promontory that dominates the town by the Spanish, who wished to control and defend the surrounding area. Porto Azzurro was renamed in 1947 when it was allowed to change from its old name, Porto Longone, which identified it with the prison housed in the Longone Fortress. The small town opens onto the Gulf of Mola, the widest bay of the eastern Elba coast and has a well protected port in which ferry-boats and tourist boats regularly moor. This fishing and agricultural village is today a famous tourist resort. Just a few kilometres from Porto Azzurro is “The Small Mine” (Piccola Miniera), a reconstruction in reduced scale of a mine and of the life inside a mine. Places of historical and cultural interest also are: the Sanctuary of Madonna del Monserrato and the Spanish Church of Cuore Immacolato di Maria. Barbarossa and Mola are two important hamlets.